KFC Coleslaw recipe

KFC Coleslaw recipe

With the 4th of July upon us, I thought I would share with you a fabulous recipe I discovered. My husband loves the coleslaw from Kentucky Fried Chicken. In fact, he’s a terrible mayo-phobe, so it took many, many years just to get him to try other coleslaws. He had even told me one day that he wished I could find a recipe for KFC’s coleslaw so we could have it at home more often.

KFC Coleslaw recipeThen I saw it. A post on my friend Debbie’s blog, mocha me, for KFC Coleslaw. I immediately saved it and printed it out. It wasn’t until a couple months later that I finally tried it. The results, at first taste, were pretty close to KFC’s, but there seemed to be an overwhelming fresh cabbage flavor right after making it. However, after this sat in the refrigerator for several hours, the cabbage had time to soak up the flavor of the dressing, and that did it! Just like KFC! So thanks Debbie, for turning me on to this great recipe. And my husband thanks you too. :) This will definitely be on my 4th of July menu.

KFC Coleslaw recipe

This recipe is now available for download on Kindle!(Printable version below)
KFC Coleslaw Recipe

More I’m making on the 4th:
Blackberry Pie Squares
Fresh Raspberry Lemonade
Watermelon Cookies
Sour Cherry Almond Cake
Garlic Marinated Chicken Cutlets and Grilled Potatoes

From the internet:
Glazed Pork Kebabs from Culinary Cory
Broccoli Delight Salad – from The English Kitchen
Red, White and Blueberry Pie – from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Red, White and Blue Moonstone Cookies – from Salad in a Jar

Comments

1. Sharon says

Love this recipe I make it all the time.. One tip is I use Napa Cabbage instead of regular cabbage its a much milder cabbage taste, and I usually let it sit in the fridge for a few hours too. I'm actually going to make it next weekend for a 4th party we are having!! : )

2. Marie says

I love KFC coleslaw and make this often. It's always delicious. I hate coleslaw's that are all gloopy with too much mayo. This recipe is just perfect. Yours looks fantastic! xxoo

3. Von says

OOh! I love KFC coleslaw…
    it was the first coleslaw I ever had and so fsr my fsvourite (I've only had about two others though)
    Definitely making this one day!!

4. Kayte says

I'm telling the Colonel! Just kidding, the Colonel isn't in a position to care these days. Here I thought all those KFC recipes were locked into some sort of vault impervious to nuclear disaster, etc. Looks just like it to me…stealing this one.

5. Tami says

I'm right up there with your hubby with liking KFC's cole slaw. I'm sure this recipe would be a winner with me! MMM!

6. Ingrid says

I love cole slaw, which is to say I'm not picky at all when it comes to it. Okay, wait I guess I am 'cause I won't eat it if there's onions in it. Anyway, I need to give this a try. KFC & Chic-fil-a cole slaws are my fave.
    ~ingrid

7. Megan says

What a menu, I'm impressed. Your gonna be working your tail off. Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

8. Culinary Cory says

I had found a version of KFC's coleslaw recipe in an old spiral bound fundraiser cookbook. I agree, it needs to rest to let the cabbage soak up the flavor a bit. Yours looks lovely.

• Dianne Demers says

I use to work for KFC about, believe it or not, 50 years ago. I made the cole slaw. We ground fresh cabbage, carrots, and onion. The mix was made with mayo, (equal parts of white sugar and salad oil) salt and white pepper. Thats all. No milk! The mix was added to the cabbage, carrots, and onion,and was packaged into container for sale. The cole slaw was best after it sat overnight. It was good for three days.

9. Mary J says

I & the family totally miss our KFC, especially the coleslaw. Maybe, now, I might get a compliment on my slaw ventures. Thanks for posting this copycat recipe.

• Kathy says

Anonymous inquired Miracle Whip or Mayo? Two different animals here- Miracle Whip is loaded with sugar (very sweet-ruins egg/tuna/chicken salad IMHO) and the recipe already calls for sugar :)

10. nick says

One head cabbage? C’mon, here in Michigan a head of cabbage can be anywhere from 1 1/2 pounds to 8 pounds. Can you be a little more specific?

• Amanda Formaro says

I had no idea a head of cabbage came in so many different sizes in Michigan. A head of cabbage as referred to in the recipe is roughly to same size (not weight) as a head of lettuce.

• says

I have never tried it without the buttermilk. You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk.

• Mario Monroy says

Dianne Demers says:

11. Kara says

This recipe is excellent :)
    But I would just like to comment that adding vinegar to milk does NOT make buttermilk, it makes sour milk. Buttermilk is the residual liquid left over when making butter from whole milk. In the amount does recipe calls for it is not that big of a deal, is something like buttermilk pancakes using sour milk would be disgusting.

12. Catherine says

I’ve been making this recipe for a few years and have always had to pour out leftover buttermilk. I found powdered buttermilk in the baking section-and it’s wonderful. I have used it in this recipe, used it with Bisquick, etc, it always works fine and gives that tangy taste. I wouldn’t recommend drinking it though. It doesn’t have the thick texture of regular buttermilk.

• says

I use powdered buttermilk in baking. Never had the problem if excess buttermilk in this recipe. Glad you found a solution that works for you though!

• Troyce says

Love me some Miracle Whip…..on everything …..deviled eggs…potato salad…sandwiches ..BLT…I could go on and on. But if I make this cole slaw I will you mayonnaise .
      Thanks for sharing the recipe , oh and I love to drink buttermilk.

13. Kathleen says

Love this recipe, KFC slaw has always been a favorite! I used light mayo, splenda (used less than sugar called for) and only had skim milk, no buttermilk. I also added a bit of tarragon to the vinegar, I have read that KFC uses tarragon vinegar, but am not sure if that is true. At first I thought it was too sweet, but after a couple of hours it is perfect, even without the layers of flavor that I am sure the buttermilk adds! Will be a nice addition to my Independence Day celebration.

14. says

Thanks Amanda, I made this for our July 4th barbecue and again today just to have in the fridge since it is the perfect side dish for many summer meals. We love it!! It also got RAVE reviews from all of my family. Thanks again!

15. steph says

This is so awesome i will not buy kfc coleslaw if i dont have to thanks and it is wonderful a hit with all my family they thought i spent alot to bring it to the family party

16. Frank says

Good recipe, I will use it frequently. I love coleslaw on sandwiches and this is just rite. Inexpensive also!

17. ragg2 says

What size head of cabbage are you talking about here?
    We have here ones of 3 inches diameter to about 15 inches diameter????
    Thanks a lot,
    Regina

18. Brenda says

Actually it is made with tarragon vinegar, no milk or buttermilk or lemon jucie,add oil, miracle whip not mayo. I use to work for KFC way back before they got the pre made dressing.

19. Leenie says

I make this all of the time! Delicious!!!! Even better after it sits. I always omit the buttermilk and use more milk and it comes out great.

20. nessi says

I have made this recipe several times since finding it on Pinterest and I love it! Sometimes I add cilantro, diced tomatoes and some red cabbage. Also I substitute lime juice for the lemon juice and garlic salt for table salt. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

21. wayne says

I have not tried this recipe however I worked at KFC for several years back when we made coleslaw in store and this does not sound like what I remember only 3 ingredients Mayo, sugar, Tarragon vinegar

hope this is not rude just what i remember

22. Doris says

I have a family recipe similuar to this.The KFC recipe and my family recipe are the only ones I will ever eat.The others are always lacking something.

23. Amy says

I made this recipe last weekend. YUMMY!!! The only thing I did different was I bought an already made bag of cole slaw and put it through the processer to make it the right texture. Easy peasy.. Next time i make it I dont think I will put onions in it. Seemed to make it too strong. Thank you for posting this yummy addicting recipe!

24. Kathleen Mitchell says

One tip… We lived near a KFC in Arizona and the manager told me THEIR secret.. It is just the usual sugar, mayonnaise (real) and pepper, but instead of lemon juice and/or vinegar, try tarragon vinegar! It’s delish!

25. Peg says

I use to work at KFC back in the 70′s and we got the dressing in large boxes already made so all we had to do was mix it with shredded cabbage. I’m glad I now know all of the “secret” ingredients so I can make my own. That Colonel was a sneaky guy!

26. Joann says

I absolutely love KFC coleslaw. It is my favorite slaw. I will put this recipe to work. YEAH!!!!!

27. julie says

Hi,
    i am wondering if there is an alternate to using mayo without sacrificing the taste?? Will greek yogurt be ok? Thanks.

28. cindy schmitt says

ive had this same rfecipe for 20 years i made it like it said the first time… putting vinegar in milk the 2nd time did not taste the same always use real buttermilk if you add 1/2 of a drained small can of pineapple(crushed) makes it even better hubby worked at kfc when he was 16 and made the slaw by hand in big trash cans…glad they quit mixing it like that he was elbow deep mixing it he said back then there was pineapple in it…im going to try the mayo sugar tarragon vinegar recipe hadnt heard that one before but sounds a lot easier

• says

That’s the first time I’ve heard pineapple! It’s funny, several people have commented on this post about working for KFC years ago and making the coleslaw. There have been several different versions as well. :)

Trackbacks

1. [...] Read More: http://amandascookin.com/2010/06/kfc-coleslaw-recipe.html , http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/05/girl-who-didnt-eat-everything.html , http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-deen/cheddar-and-bacon-twice-baked-potatoes-recipe/index.html Share this:TwitterStumbleUponFacebookPinterestEmailPrintDiggLinkedInRedditTumblrLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged buttermilk, chicken thighs, coleslaw, frozen buttermilk, grilled chicken, homemade slaw, honey chicken, KFC slaw, slaw, spicy chicken, spicy honey chicken, twice baked potato.Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment [...]

2. [...] either making some of my famous KFC knock off coleslaw (a dairy and sugar free adaptation of this recipe) or this cauliflower salad to share with my tablemates. I hope to see you [...]