White Chocolate Cranberry Coffee Cake

Last Thanksgiving I bought quite a few bags of cranberries and stuffed them in the freezer. So now I’m trying to use them up and figured a good way to do that would be to adapt my blueberry breakfast cake. I love that blueberry cake just the way it is, so I figured I would add some spices and a different topping for the cranberries. And what better compliment to cranberries than white chocolate?

There’s no long story about these, other than it was a full moon the other day and I had a major craving for something sweet. So I baked them. End of story. See? Not long at all. :) I did totally love these though, truly delicious!

Oh! And they were a great reason to use my ceramic baker again that I bought from King Arthur’s Flour. :) I knew it was good for more than just cinnamon rolls!

White Chocolate Cranberry Coffee Cake

TOPPING:
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup finely hazelnuts
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder and sugar. Add egg, milk, almond extract, butter and orange peel; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the cranberries. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan.

For topping, combine sugar, flour, hazelnuts and cinnamon in a mini food processor or bowl. Add butter and process, or cut in if doing by hand, until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done.

For drizzle, melt white chocolate chips in microwave for 35 seconds. Stir until completely melted. Drizzle over the top of the cake and allow to sit until chocolate hardens.

My good friend Deeba is hosting a fun Monthly Mingle with the theme of Fruit in Baking on her gorgeous blog, Passionate About Baking. I will be joining her, if you have baked with fruit you should join too!

(If you enjoyed this post, I’d truly appreciate a stumble, Digg, facebook share, whatever you like! :) )

NEW! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, Foodie in the Craftroom, to receive updates and tips from both Amanda’s Cookin’ and Crafts by Amanda! Visit http://www.amandascookin.com/p/subscribe-to-newsletter.html

Comments

1. Deeba PAB says

Oooh I love the tangy-sweet combination. This is right up my street!! Thank you for bringing this absolutely delicious fruity bake to the mingle Amanda. I love it, like I love the ceramic bakeware too. SU'd

2. Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says

I LOVE fresh cranberries, and always look forward to scoring my first bags of them in the fall, which I did a few days ago. This recipe looks so appealing, Amanda!

3. Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog says

Incredible mix of the chocolate with the berry – this tangy-sweet match is dangerous because it means too many slices of that cake!! :)

All the best,

Gera

4. bakers says

What a great way to use seasonal ingredients in a favorite blueberry recipe. Your treats look picture perfect! Irene @ KAF

5. Megan says

What a wonderful cake for the holidays. This would be perfect for Thanksgiving morning. Well, anytime really, I was just thinking out loud about Thanksgiving morning!
    Very fun baking dish. I love the swirly on the inside!

6. Barbara Bakes says

I still have one bag of cranberries in the freezer from last year too. Looks like a great way to use them.

7. Paula says

I thought I recognized the cinnamon roll pan. Very nice. Cranberries and white chocolate sound like the perfect combination for a full moon.

8. resewn sally says

Although I really don't like white chocolate, i am going to have to try this!! The kids will love it for sure. I just made your Blueberry Breakfast Cake last week, and again tonight as i've had so many requests for it! It's lovely! Usually i'm one of those annoying cooks who doesn't really eat much they bake. (I'm not big on sugar.) But that cake! I couldn't resist. Now I have to try and save some for my Dad tomorrow…

9. Sarah Caron says

That looks incredible. I just brought back several pounds of cranberries from a bog in Cape Cod … this would be the perfect recipe to use some of them in. YUM!

10. Stacie says

I followed directions exactly and this just came out way too dry. Crumbly so as almost would have to eat with a spoon. I loved the flavor of cranberry and white chocolate. Wonder what I could do to fix it.

• says

Im sorry to hear you had trouble Stacie. There are a lot of factors that could have caused this. The first one that comes to mind would be measuring the flour. Using the scoop and swipe method is the best way to measure. One cup generally weighs around 4.5 ounces, where if you scoop the flour out of the container with the measuring cup, it can weigh almost 6 ounces. A considerable difference! Other factors may include making substitutions in the recipe. Did you follow the recipe exactly, or did you change out anything? Also, ovens can vary quite a bit, it’s possible that it just baked too long.

Trackbacks